Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Feeling Blue?




I've got the wedding planning blues!  It's hard to plan a Florida wedding from Alabama.  I kind of, sort of wanted to elope but believe it or not, my future hubby wants a wedding. Not only does this wonderful man actually want to marry me but he wants friends and family to witness it!! 

According to my wedding app, LadyMarry, I'm already way behind on some pretty big tasks if we want to get married in early to mid 2017.

Budget - I was supposed to have this figured out 2 months ago.
Book Reception Venue - 1 month ago.
This month - Choose wedding party & try on dresses.

I want my family's input on this stuff but nobody wants to move to Alabama.

To take my mind off of this planning, I found some interesting wedding facts.

Throwing rice at weddings symbolizes fertility, seriously if anyone even brings rice with them, you will be asked to leave. I'm wishing for menopause, not a baby!

Nearly $72 billion is spent on weddings every year in the United States. OMG

In America, T.V. soap opera weddings attract more viewers than a presidential address.

Because eyebrows are considered intensely alluring in the Orient, historically the bride’s eyebrows were shaved entirely, rendering her powerless to attract a man.  Explains Whoopi Goldberg

In several countries, including Germany and Greece, the bride attempts to cover her new husband’s foot while dancing in order to establish dominance.

In Egypt, women will pinch the bride to bring good luck to those who pinched her.

In Afghanistan, a man who wanted to marry a woman would cut off a lock of her hair or throw a sheet over her and proclaim her his bride.

In many cultures, the groom historically often kidnapped the bride, and the groom’s friends would help him, leading to the modern-day groomsmen. At the alter, the groom always stood on the bride’s right side so his right hand—or his sword hand—would be free to fight/defend a jealous rival.


The Penan nomads who live on the island Borneo (southwest of the Philippines) maintain that women do not have a soul until their wedding day.

Because white is the color of mourning in Eastern cultures, white wedding dresses are uncommon.

The custom of tiered cakes emerged from a game where the bride and groom attempted to kiss over an ever-higher cake without knocking it over.

In Denmark, brides and grooms traditionally cross-dressed to confuse evil spirits.
Most expensive wedding ever? The marriage of Sheik Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum's son to Princess Salama in Dubai in May 1981. The price tag? $44 million.

In Mauritania, girls aged between five and 15 are sent to "fat farms" before their wedding to pile on the pounds. If a bride had stomach rolls, stretch marks and overlapping thighs, it signalled her husband was wealthy enough to keep her satisfied.  Wow!!

I'm feeling better already. I won't have to shave my eyebrows, get kidnapped, pinched or cross-dress.






3 comments:

  1. I'll pinch you. If I could afford it, is come help you! Hell, I'd plan the whole thing! Just give me a budget and I'll start looking into it! For real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll pinch you. If I could afford it, is come help you! Hell, I'd plan the whole thing! Just give me a budget and I'll start looking into it! For real!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would so love this Lisa, I don't know my budget and I don't know what I want. All I know is it will be in Florida, on the beach and I want the color pink (not for my dress). I had all these plans to make a bunch of stuff but I have completely lost interest in making anything.

    ReplyDelete